Make plans now to tour Upstate Farms and learn all about how they bring local products to their community. Buy products straight from the farm, see behind the scenes, and even enjoy a meal at some stops.
Planning your trip:
- Bring a cooler and ice pack to keep dairy, meat and other purchases fresh. Bring hat/wear sunscreen and wear sensible shoes for walking in grassy or uneven areas.
- Bring cash as not all farms will be able to accept cards.
- Leave pets at home. They can be a danger to livestock and present food safety issues for produce growers.
- Bring hand sanitizer/wipes because there will be opportunities to touch animals and opportunities to eat too!
- Keep kids close and explain in advance that this is a working farm and they should ask before they touch something new. Be mindful of electric fences, farm equipment, fire ants, etc.
- Stay on the tour. Don't enter private residences or other areas of the farm not included on the tour. Don't arrive before 1pm or after 5:30pm.
- Plan 2-3 farms at most for each day. Take note of the availability of restrooms, snacks, meals, etc when you are planning.
The participating list of farms so far for 2018(check back for more!):